Thursday, November 22, 2007

Have a Great Thanksgiving



I'm having a great Thanksgiving, and I hope you all are too.

I'm staying at my youngest son's home in Savannah Georgia. It's the first time my wife or I have been to Savannah, and we're both in love with the looks of the city. We of course don't know the real character of the city, but it looks wonderful. The people we've met are consistently friendly and helpful, and the city is kept neat and clean.

Of course, I've been visiting Masonic sites around the city, where I can find them, and of course, they've all been closed for the holidays. I've attached a couple of pictures that are interesting:

This picture is of a plaque commemorating Savannah as the home of Prince Hall Masonry in Georgia. It is on Bay Street, in Emmet Park, near Solomon's Lodge #1, F&AM Masons of Georgia, which shown here:
This is Solomon's #1, F&AM, the longest operating lodge in America.
General Oglethorpe, the founder of the colony of Georgia, was the First Grand Master of Masons in Georgia. I think the date on this lodge was 1734.

All in all, I love the way this city looks. When I was at Solomon's #1, four bald eagles flew over, what could be better?
The lodge was being renovated, and is occupying the old cotton exchange building on Bay Street, also backing on the river. I couldn't see inside, but the stained glass and new work looked great from outside.
I was unable to contact any brothers in Savannah, which was disappointing, but so it goes. It won't be my last trip.

No comments:


What This Blog is About

This blog is the thoughts of a Freemason. It's not affiliated with any Masonic body, and doesn't speak for Freemasonry in any sense of the word. My purpose is to raise questions, not dictate answers. If you read this blog, please comment; please subscribe, so we can look for answers to these questions together.